Smart watches and Android Wear

Many people do not seem to understand smart watches. "Why do I need another, smaller screen when I have my phone with me all the time anyway?" they sometimes ask.
And CGP Grey, of Hello Internet has a similar problem justifying his expensive phone-on-his-wrist doo-dad as well. If you share that perspective, you may enjoy this video shared by a friend:
But there are some advantages which make me miss it if I don't wear it:

  • While I am wearing it, my phone is silent, which means it's not continually making annoying whining noises to get my attention.
  • While I am wearing my watch, the phone knows it doesn't need to lock itself, and so I don't have to worry about typing in a PIN, swiping a particular way, or getting my phone to recognise my face despite this morning's unique bags under my eyes.
  • If I am driving and fancy some music, I don't need to pull over, or dangerously attempt to get my phone to start playing music while driving, I can simply say to my wrist "OK Google, play music" and the music will spring forth. I can even ask for a playlist.
  • If I get a notification, I can quickly glance at my wrist and decide that 9/10, I can ignore it for a while.
  • If I am watching a movie from Google Play (or CBS, or Flixster, or Vudu, etc) I can control the programme using my watch screen, rather than having to find my phone and swipe down to access the programme controls (this sounds small, but it's very useful).
  • If I want to know the time, I can look at this device on my wrist, rather than fishing out a phone from a pocket.
  • If I am listening to music or a podcast on my headphones, I can tuck my phone well out of reach and still pause, skip or change the volume when an unexpected encounter with a friend from work occurs.
  • If you don't get an Apple watch, the watches are really reasonably priced and work with your iPhone, Android device or whatever it is you have.

Comments

Popular Posts